Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Empowered

Kingston, but on my way





There's something empowering about having the morning to yourself in a strange city. This morning I awoke to below freezing temperatures, a car covered with frost, and a few errands to run. I needed to find an Internet hot spot, of course, and I got to Starbuck's at 8:50, which was before it opened. Just down the mall a bit was a Panera Bread that opened at 6, so I found my way there, glancing into the windows of Pier 1 and Coldwater Creek on my way. When I got through with my morning check of the New York Times online, looked over Facebook and posted a pithy note or two, downed a coffee, and was ready to move on.

By now my car had thawed out. I found the nearest supermarket and bought supplies I needed for lunch and a few more meals. Weaving about in traffic I felt empowered. No big deal. I have a lot to get done and everything seems to be falling into place.

I'm getting organized here. I expect the closing on my Hoboken apartment Friday or early next week at the latest. Soon I'll be flush and in three weeks I'll be moved into my new apartment in New Paltz. 
I can't wait until I have Internet service and cable tv in my own place, and have my stuff there, unpacked, sign myself into a gym and get into a comfortable routine again. In the meantime I have Christmas and New Year's Eve to deal with. I can handle anything.

2 comments:

  1. I like the photo...reminds me of my youth...I grew up in Westchester and the buildings in a lot of places are rather much the same....you can tell the periods they were built from the materials. Red Brick started off the 20th Century and ran to about 1950. Before 1900, everything was constructed from riverstone.

    My father used to build houses and occasionally did restoration repair on old buildings...I used to love helping him and I always studied the structures. When I was a kid, my dad would always hire down on their luck old guys, and nine times out of ten they had done work on major NYC landmarks, one old guy worked on the Empire State Building when he was young, another worked on the art deco lobby of the Chrysler Building. As a kid, I didn't think much about this stuff, but now as an older person, I am sort of amazed at having met these people...I could roam up and down the Hudson River Valley photographing small towns all along the way. A childhood friend of mine is doing an exhaustive photo journal of our home town, Yonkers...he's been at it for at least five years now, several times a week and he's pretty much done every square inch of the place.

    I greatly enjoy the new blog.

    ReplyDelete